Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Discernment Exercises

As a kid growing up in Catholic school, we heard a lot about discernment and vocations. At the time, they were potentially terrifying words-- who wants to think about making huge, life-changing decisions in the second grade? Interestingly enough (and only fifteen years later), I'm revisiting these words with a new, fresh perspective on what they mean-- both in general and in my life, specifically. The trouble is no one ever told me what to do when you felt as if your life could have half a dozen "vocations." It had seemed to me like one day, square from the blue, a big lightening bolt would bounce off my head and all of a sudden, I would know. Decision made. Problem solved. Career found!

Alas, this was not to be. I've graduated from college, and was humbled to find a job with a company I've always admired amidst a team of people I adore. I know what you're thinking... LUCKY! I get it... I know that I am. At the same time, I feel strongly that this is just the first stop on a much larger path-- and this is where the trouble sets in. Would I like to be a writer? (Yes.) A Broadway Star? (Yep.) An advocate for at-risk children? (Obviously.) A Soccer Mom? (Naturally.) How about a stylist? (Yeah, I'd like that, too.) I mean, I think the only thing I can definitively cross off the list is butcher. But not baker. Perhaps candlestick maker. I've heard all the advice-- "you'll get there, don't worry, you have so much life ahead of you... boblablah." (Any Arrested Development fans?) I believe those things, too, but MAN this is troubling.

Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy the journey. I just wish there was a MapQuest for this one.

With that being said, I think it's time for me to behave a little more proactively-- grab life by the lapels, and go for it... so that's the plan. Now, sit back and be entertained as I try to figure out how!

"You'll seldom experience regret for anything that you've done. It is what you haven't done that will torment you. The message, therefore, is clear. Do it!" -Wayne Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment