Monday, July 19, 2010

Baking Beauty


I love to bake. I wouldn't say I'm a terribly good baker, but I really do enjoy trying out new recipes. Over the weekend, we went to an engagement party for one of the man's law school friends. I decided to try out Paula Deen's "Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake" recipe and it was, naturally, simply delicious.

The recipe for the cake calls for the following:
Ingredients:
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water

I used a package of Dole frozen strawberries instead of a variety with syrup in the cake mix, and I substituted fresh strawberries on top. After a hunt that led me through at least five of the Upper West Side's various grocery stores, I gave up on making the icing from scratch (strawberry extract is nearly impossible to find!) and settled on some generic strawberry icing. Nonetheless, it was delicious! If you're looking for something summery to bring to a party, I would highly recommend it.

(You can find the full recipe, including cake and icing, on Paula Deen's website here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment